Monday, July 24, 2006

226 - smoking, kansas city style

This weekend we has some good friends come over for dinner.

So, I used that as an opportunity to work on a new hobby of mine - barbeque. As many of you know, I love barbeque and I haven't met a BBQ joint in KC that I didn't like.

A few years ago, I learned that a few of my co-workers participate in BBQ contest. So, I quizzed them on the in's and out's of smoking meat. They convinced me that it was pretty easy to do and then you spend a lifetime perfecting the art. So, I bought a little smoker and I BBQ my on meat a few times a year.

I hadn't smoked any meat yet this summer, so this was a good excuse for me to have some fun. For dinner, I smoked pork loin and pork ribs. I have to admit, they were both pretty good with a nice smokey flavor. The ribs fell right off the bone. Yum!

It's a bit of a long process, but well worth the wait.

If you twist my arm, we might have to have a party were you all can come. (I am taking orders.)

5 comments:

shakedust said...

Smoked pork and smoked beef. Those are the two best smoked meats IMO. The thought is making my mouth water.

GoldenSunrise said...

smoking meat sounds like an awesome hobby..

f o r r e s t said...

Oh yeah! It's a tasty habit.

roamingwriter said...

yeah....mouth watering thoughts! I don't think I'd every have the patience for the all day smokin' thing though. Glad others enjoy it, so I can eat the benefits.

f o r r e s t said...

Do you use a crockpot?

It's kinda like that. Once you have everything set up the rest is smooth sailing. You might check on it a couple of times to see if the fire is hot enough or if you need more water. But it's one of those things that you just let go for 6 hours and then it's done.