Thursday, July 06, 2006

218 - June music and books

Mojave 3 - Puzzles Like You...I have been a longtime fan of Neil Halstead and his bands M3 and earlier Slowdive. M3 has been mostly really slow sleepy alt-county sort of tunes, but this album is upbeat with more of a sunny california sound. Brit-pop of course. I paid full price at Borders, because I don't think I could find it anywhere else.

Keane - Under the Iron Sea...I really like this album. I wondered if they could do much else after their first album - since they are piano, drums, and voice, but this is quite a mature record and a bit moody. ($8.48 at NFM.)

Dashboard Confessional - Dusk and Summer...I was debating on picking this up. I liked this band a few year ago, but quickly grew tired of his whiny voice and 8th grade lyrics. I didn't care too much for the last record either. But with Daniel Lanois producing and the current song on the radio was pretty good for a summertime song, I figured I'd give him one more chance. Two bum records and your out. My expectations were low, but I was pleasantly surprised that most of the songs are pretty good. It's still a little whiny, but a lot better than I expected. ($8.48 at NFM.)

Corrine Bailey Rae - S/T...This was Vernal's pick. She saw Corrine perform on some PBS show and later we saw her on the late night shows. She is classified as R&B, but her style is more of a throw back to the old R&B artist of the 70's with natural instruments instead of synthisized. ($9 somthing at NFM.)

Starflyer 59 - I Win E.P....another 3 songs of perfect pop and one moody-dark instrumental to preclude the upcoming album. (online - $7.99)

Pony Express - Fraud E.P....Fuzz pop or rock- whatever you call it. This CD was free plus $1.25 for s/h from Velvet Blue Music as a thanks to it's fans. No, thank you!

Angels & Demons - Dan Brown...I finished this book earlier in the month. Thanks to BB for the loan. It's a fun read - mystery and suspense. The multiple endings get a little far-fetched.

The Last Battle - C.S. Lewis...I started rereading the series a few years ago when I was taking my Architectural exams. I would pause from studying and read a book. I read the first six and kept picking up different books to read. Now I have completed the set. I bet the next time I read this I'll be reading them to my kids.

5 comments:

roamingwriter said...

I've enjoyed purchasing several books over the last couple months when we've been where there were some in English. Looking forward to settling in with them.

shakedust said...

I still need to get through Pride and Prejudice before looking at more books. What did you think of The Last Battle?

I have a few thoughts from my memory of the book.

- Lewis would have a hard time getting away with such a thinly veiled criticism of Islam today.

- The book lacked some of the creativity of the other books until the heaven sequence, and instead focused on making you angry at how stupid most of the Narnia residents were.

- Lewis was pretty bold in has assertion that perhaps a Muslim serving Tash well could really be serving Aslan in his own way. I don't know what the general Christian reaction to this was, but the conversation in the book stuck out to me.

f o r r e s t said...

"What did you think of The Last Battle?"

It had been a long time since I read the book, so I sort of forgot the storyline. I thought the book was short - a real quick read. The story was more focused on one event versus a journey of adventures.

"- Lewis would have a hard time getting away with such a thinly veiled criticism of Islam today."

Was is Islam? Is Tash an Islamic diety?

- The book lacked some of the creativity of the other books until the heaven sequence, and instead focused on making you angry at how stupid most of the Narnia residents were.

The Narnians were stupid, but I related to them being taken in by an ape and a donkey. Aslan hasn't been around in a long time and the Narnians don't remember what the truth is. That happened with the isrealites in the desert after seeing God's deliverance first hand. And even in todays world, people haven't seen God, so they are taken in by other things. Beware of false prophets! I thought the book had some good ideas and thoughts. And this is where the word "Shadowlands" came from.

As far as creativity...again, I thought it was short. The book was also very site specific. They pretty much stayed within the region of the stable the whole time. So, on that level it is not as creative as the other, but on a heady level, I thought it was pretty creative.

"- Lewis was pretty bold in has assertion that perhaps a Muslim serving Tash well could really be serving Aslan in his own way. I don't know what the general Christian reaction to this was, but the conversation in the book stuck out to me."

Yeah, that stuck out to me too, with Emeth the good Calormene entering the gates and the explaination that followed. Honestly, I have thought enough about it or researched it to give my theory.

It's a good thing that these books are not allegory. Is Tash a god on terms with Aslan much like greek gods? Or is Tash the evil one equal to Satan? Emeth was searching for the god of truth, but only knew of Tash. But didn't Tash's followers practice some bad forms of worship?

Maybe, it was Emeth's act of faith. He wanted to serve the true God, and he took the chance to meet Tash in the stable and see if he was really god.

I don't know, but it'd make some good discussion.

Doc said...

Have you picked up the album by Fair, Aaron Sprinkle's new incarnation. I've enjoyed it quite a bit.

f o r r e s t said...

I have heard great things about the FAIR album and I have even sampled it a bit and what I heard backs up all the praise.

I would like to pick it up but I haven't seen it anywhere. I guess I need to go to a Xian bookstore to find it.