Monday, July 10, 2006

219

I just started reading a new book by Don Miller called Through Painted Deserts. It is a book about a road trip in an old VW van and a lot of Don's thought on life as he is driving over the open road. So far, it is pretty interesting. I like the way he thinks. Sometimes, I wonder if you have to stop what you are doing to think or maybe, just writing causes you to think through these really intelligent ideas...now I'm rambling.

So far he has hit on how vs. why questions. I think this is the common theme for the book - as it has appeared in several chapters. Most of us live in the how questions, but it is the why questions that we find God. For example, evolution can explain how we came into being, but it can not explain why.

I also read something that I have never heard before, that I thought would be good discussion. He and his friend were talking about the perfect woman. He says:

I've heard it said there are two types of men in this world--one is looking for a woman to make his life complete and the other is looking for a woman to join his complete life. I don't think one is better than the other...

Hmmm! Is one better than the other? I am not sure yet which one I am. I wonder if you can go through phases - one where she completes you and then later since you are complete she joins you. Or I wonder if a single man of 38 has a complete life but looking for someone to join him? All sorts of scenarios, one could work out.

4 comments:

shakedust said...

1. How vs why sounds pretty interesting. That is the difference between science and philosophy/religion/etc. Science can only answer how or what questions. Science cannot conclusively answer why questions because that is outside the design of science. Science may assist philosophy in determining the why, but science alone is not equipped for such an enterprise.

2. If a man believes that he has a complete life and simply wants to add a wife to the mix, I think that may be a recipe for disaster. A large part of relationships, and marriage in particular, is the mutual change that you each have in each other's lives, personality, values, routines, etc. If someone thinks he already has a complete life, the implications of what a marriage relationship entails can only bring strife--not that the man in question doesn't need a little strife in his life.

f o r r e s t said...

Dust,
I agree with you on point 2, but to look at the other option... I think it is also dangerous for a man to assume by taking a wife that his life will now be complete. Only God can make you complete and to put that pressure and expectation on a spouse is unfair, because we all fail.

T said...

"You complete me" (Jerry McGuire)

That being said, I think it's a combination of the two...

You have to be confident in yourself so that you aren't needing someone to "complete you" but smart enough to recognize when you meet the right person that they do bring more to your life.

(I agree with you Forrest that "only God can make you complete and to put that kind of pressure and expectation on a spouse is unfair")

Hopefully with the right spouse it's not a pressure that is put on them, but something that just happens over time with each other through the give and take and mutual respect in a relationship.

shakedust said...

Yeah there is a danger at the other extreme as well.

Golden had a friend who wanted the guy she dated to tell her she completed him. When Golden told me the story she pointed out to me that she was bothered that the friend didn't acknowledge that only God can complete.