Thursday, July 20, 2006

225 - food and heat and food and spain

Last Satuday, my parents came over to watch the kids so that Vernal and I could go out and eat and run some errands. No planning goes into this other than getting a sitter to come over. As usual, we are pulling out of the driveway looking at each other, asking "where do you want to eat?" We decide on D'Bronx on 39th street. I love that place and it has been a while since we have eaten there. I must say it is one of my favorite places to eat - the atmosphere, the people, and the food. I got a D'Bronx sub and Verna had a slice of pizza and a salad. Delicious. We had such a good time and talked and talked and talked like adults.

*********

As you all know, this has been one smokin' hot week. I have heard terms on TV like "beat the heat." The A/C is cool but we need to get out unless we go crazy. We, as a family, have been going to the pool most days to beat the heat. I forgot how much fun the pool is in the summer heat. Ah, the water feels so good. The kids are waiting for me when I get home from work, so I eat quick and we are off. We swim till the pool closes. The boys are really getting good in the water. We are definately getting our moneys worth out of our OP pool memberships this summer.

*********

I went out for lunch yesterday with some co-workers to Arthur Bryant's Barbeque. Yum, AB's is one of my favorite spots in town for BBQ. (I have many.) You know when you are in for a treat, when the aroma outside the restaurant makes you pause in the 100 degree weather. Their sandwiches are huge - so I didn't eat breafast in preparation. I also didn't need to eat much of a dinner either. My mouth water up as I think back over my lunch experience. Oh, that was a good beef sandwhich. I got fries to - which are really good as I would soak them in BBQ sauce. And my coke - I ordered a large and it comes out in a bucket. These are the serving sizes they talk about that is making America obese. Which is why I don't eat out every day, but only once in a while. I was going to eat only half my sandwich and save the rest, but I couldn't stop and it tasted so good. Kansas City has so many good barbeque options.

*********

I apologize to my friends in Spain who have just read the above. BTW, I thought about you guys the other day, when my dad and sis took me out for lunch at Manny's. (Oops, I did it again - sorry!) I think that was our last outing before you left.

6 comments:

roamingwriter said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Many things I miss!! AC, BBQ, Mexican. And buckets of soda?!! Who knew there was such a thing. A lot of restaurants bring you the tiny glass bottles when you order a soda about 10 oz, I guess. As an American, I think, what is this a joke? : ) There are a few places to get big beverages and I enjoy them immensely!

f o r r e s t said...

Yes, I remember the restaurants in Europe had glasses with a printed mark near the top - based on the mLiter size you ordered. No ice and they would fill it to the mark and not above (even though there was extra room for more.

GoldenSunrise said...

All this talk of BBQ and pop is making me hungry! I have been inside the house most of the week staying cool with NJ.

Dust's parents are coming next week. Maybe Dust and I can get away for lunch!

f o r r e s t said...

That's right!
I was very happy.

Must not be happy all the time.

dwhitey said...

I ate at a somewhat new bbq place here in lawrence. It was awesome except for the fat that they slapped on the sandwich. They say it was 1lbs of meat, but take away the fat and it was probably only .75lbs. The place is called Vermont St. BBQ, but it is on Mass St. (?) It had great hickory sauce, spicy and a mustard bbq sauce. I mixed them all together. It was good bbq for not being kc masterpiece, which to me is what good bbq is. As far as the happy and fat, I can say only partially. I hate being out of shape. I have been loosing some weight, but I still sit behind a computer all day long. Maybe I will have to go swiming and get some exersize. Good call Forrest! I did have a decent steak yesterday and repeat of it for lunch today thanks to mr. b loosing our final 4 bet! :) dwhitey

windarkwingod said...

STOP! (did you get extra chips?)