Monday, December 12, 2005

Friday and Saturday with some hot spots for Christmas lights

Friday night, later in the evening, I had to run a quick errand…Christmas shopping. I took Goose with me and on the way home we took a detour to see some Christmas lights. It was magical, and then later it occurred to me why it was so perfect. We had snow on everything just like in the movies. These are the spots we hit: Frosty Lights Lane (76th and Lamar), Candy Cane Lane (79th and Outlook close to 79th and Nall) and the Crazy House with everything on it (75th and Falmouth just east of Mission Road.) The Crazy House with everything on it is always fun. You park your car and walk up to the house. There is always a crowd of people looking into the windows. I overheard the homeowner say that he had been doing this for 40 years and it takes four months to set up. It is weird to think that my parents would take me to these same places when I was a little boy and now I am taking my kids. This thought also occurred to me when Goose was watching a Charlie Brown Christmas on TV the other night. My other favorite Christmas light spot is just west of 63rd and State Line in Mission Hills. I call it winter wonder land. I drove by after thanksgiving and they didn’t have the lights up, so I wonder if the community is doing it this year.

Late Friday night, I saw a picture I took and inspiration hit and I made a Christmas card. When it happens, you can’t mess with it. (more later)

Saturday morning, Goose and I got all bundled up and went sledding on a nearby hill. That boy loves to be outside no matter what the weather. One of the best parts of sledding is the hot chocolate waiting at home.

Saturday late afternoon, Vernal and I got to see The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. (more later.)

6 comments:

Doc said...

Yay! A Christmas card. They are always so well put together. Better than the store bought kind in my opinion. So did all have a good time sledding? Some of my best memories come from sledding with my parents. The hills seemed so big; the injuries so minor. (then there was midnight sledding at KU.) Enjoy the snow while it lasts.

shakedust said...

Yeah, I read your blog saying you weren't going to do a card, then I get a card from you. We have barely started ours.

GoldenSunrise said...

Isn't it more of a Christmas picture rather than a Christmas card? It is still neat looking.

f o r r e s t said...

It is our official christmas card.

f o r r e s t said...

Doc,
Thanks for the nice words.

We had a good time sledding. Goose could not stop eating the snow. Funny, but everytime I go sledding I think you and I hope that there are no nails hidden under the snow.

f o r r e s t said...

Yea Dust, I had every intention to not do cards, but when inspiration hits..what can you do?