Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Christmas Cards

Okay, earlier I spoke of how we came to terms with not doing Christmas cards this year. Making and desgining Christmas cards is something that I have enjoyed doing for as long as Vernal and I have been married. Vernal adds a lot of design input into the overall look and direction of the card and is a good vote of confidence.

I have always enjoyed getting cards that have a personal touch, a photo, a written message. But I do understand how difficult it is to send out 200 cards and write a message to each. That is our dilemma: how to maintain personality and balance the massive undertaking of making the cards.

That is why we gave up this year. It was early December and I hadn't thought about any design ideas. To keep cost down I would usually buy cardstock paper (8.5 x 11) and print them at work. I would try to come up with a black and white design so that it really isn't costing them for color prints. I would then have to cut each card and fold and then after that Vernal and I would write messages. We just didn't have time and I didn't have an idea.

I think the other factor contributing toward my attitude is the Church's Christmas Card drop-off. In general, it is a good idea. It saves lots of money not having to buy stamps. And I very much enjoy receiving cards from others...But the problems are: Where do you draw the limit? Do I give a card to everybody int the directory? Should I feel bad for the people who I don't give cards? Do these people really care? etc.

I opened a few cards the other day and one was a bland religious themed card and when you opened it up there was a computer printed sticker of the givers name. What's up with that? They couldn't even write there name. That is why we weren't going to do cards. If giving cards is that automatic and that cold and un-human, then why bother. I wish those people would just save the money, because it really means nothing to me.

Vernal was thrilled and relieved when I asked her if we could skip cards this year.

But there is a new Christmas card trend that is getting bigger and bigger each year and that is the photo card. Yes, I believe they are cheesy as all get out with their premade templates, but I find them very enjoyable. We get these from friends that we haven't seen in a while and each year there is the photo update on their family or just the kids. The message is simple and friends like to see friends. Sometimes there is a letter attached and sometimes not, but I think there is not a written expectation with the photo card. With the photo card the picture tells the story and personal words are not necessary. (All of this justification came to me later.)

So last Friday night, I sat down in front of our computer to pick out some photos to print to put in a frame for my mom's birthday and I came across this picture I took of downtown as I was driving home one day. I hadn't seen it before, because I just downloaded the pictures on to my computer.

That got me thinking - I could add the word merry christmas and then I thought what if I add a picture of the boys...or the whole family in black and white. What if I add a star and make the whole graphic look like some abstract christmas tree and yet keep it off in the corner so that the actual photo still has presence. I didn't mean too, but one thing lead to another and soon I had designed a Christmas Card.

"This is perfect!" I said as I tried to convice Vernal who was still happy at not having to do cards this year. "We don't have to write any messages. It is on the card. I know it's lame, but everybody else is doing it that way," I say as I pull out a photocard of her highschool friend's boy standing in front of a chirstmas tree. "This just might work. It is only 15 cents per picture to print at Sam's club and we don't have to put them in envelopes for the church people. We'll treat it like a postcard."

This has been the easiest and quickest Christmas Card I have done in 9 years. It took about 12 hours from the idea to holding them in my hand... and I have tons of ideas for next years card. Can't wait.

11 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

Whoa! did I just write all of that? That is long, sorry!

Oh and another Idea I told vernal is that we can send out E-cards! (don't know if we'll do it, but...)

GoldenSunrise said...

I like receiving the picture cards of everyone and their kids or just their kids.

We don't have kids yet, and nobody wants to see a picture of just us two. So there is our dilemma. I bought an assortment of some stylish homemade looking cards at Target.

Next Christmas will be easier because we will have a little one!

f o r r e s t said...

I would love to get a photo card of you guys in your christmas sweaters.

shakedust said...

We can only use that picture so many times, though... :)

gigi said...

Ok... I'm so glad to read this because I feel the SAME way! It's actually one of my biggest pet-peeves! I honestly don't get why people send you christmas cards and then just sign their name! Rrrr... it drives me crazy. Jeff tells me I'm so mean but it totally bothers me. I would rather them tell me they hate me or think I'm stupid or whatever... just don't sign your name and not say anything. That's gay. Who even cares then. This year, because I have 400 kids and I've been a tad busy, we just sent out a picture card thing that I made and this was the first year I haven't sent personal messages. And, like you, I feel justified because I'm sending a picture of us. But I have to admit... it did kind of bother me to send something so lame without a special note attached...but then I got over it when I remembered how many small kids I have. So I guess it's ok to be lame if you have a good excuse...but it better be a good one!

f o r r e s t said...

At least we can be lame together and we only have 200 kids!

f o r r e s t said...

Dust, you don't have to use the same picture all the time. Maybe you could do a mr and mrs claus or a christmas sweater from hell card or a sleigh ride card, whatever??? Just grace us with goldendust.

Stephanie said...

I love the picure cards. Your's was great! Hootchie, your's was cute too. I think about doing them every year, but I'm too lazy even for that. (and I only have 300 kids.)

shakedust said...

Forrest, the point is that unless we accidentally stumble on a picture that will work, we probably won't use one. We are not going to spend the time trying to put together a bad sweater picture.

f o r r e s t said...

I guess if you don't want to be funny...because it really doesn't take much time to set your timer on your digital camera...and BINGO!...you've got some pictures.

f o r r e s t said...

[ What if we do Foxes and Jergs together and just take pics of the kids]

You'd have a lot of explaining to do...I've seen special shows on TV about mormon or swinging families all living together with about 20 kids belonging to everyone.