Monday, March 24, 2008

my first solo show

A Place to Bury Strangers at the Record Bar.

One of my favorite forms of entertainment is live music. At my age going to shows is becoming more and more difficult. Late nights (not really a problem for me), family, funds, other interest, conflicts etc. get in the way of going to shows. One of the biggest hurdles is finding someone who is like-minded to go to shows with. Your average mid-30 something guy isn't really into music or at least to the extent of shelling out 10 bucks to check out some obscure indie rock band that you know is on to something but is unknown to the public at large.

This was not problem when Brian was in town. He'd say "show?" I'd say "when?" But he has moved on to Portland and when he comes to visit we always find a good show. This year we have Cure tickets.

I still check the paper to see who is coming through town and have missed many good bands. So, I finally decided to go by myself. This is odd for me. I have always been a "have a friend with you sort of guy." I must admit I have always been afraid of standing around and looking out of place. I remember as a young kid seeing a guy eat alone at a diner and I felt sorry for him. I thought to myself, I will never eat alone (in public)- I can always get it to go and eat alone at home.

I realize now that it is a matter of confidence. So after the kids where tucked in bed, I went to my first show alone. It wasn't bad. When the bands were playing no big deal. The only awkwardness was between bands, when everyone tends to group up with their friends and you try to look purposeful.

I'll definitely do it again, but I will see if Looney or somebody wants to tag along. It is alway more fun to have someone to talk to.


*****

Listening:

The Seventy Sevens - the Lust, the Flesh, the Eyes, and the Pride of Life
Ladytron - amTV
The Jesus and Mary Chain - I Hate Rock N Roll
The Innocence Mission - Joan
St. Vincent - All My Stars Aligned

6 comments:

T said...

Being a lone is difficult in a "social" setting for most people. Concerts by yourself-- :( Not fun. It's much more fun to have someone to share the hype of the moment with.

shakedust said...

I have given up on looking purposeful in those situations. I usually go for, "not a schitzo." :)

I'm sure it was all worth it to go to the concert, though.

f o r r e s t said...

It was difinitely worth it. I had a lot of fun.

Portland wawa said...

BB goes to quite a few concerts by himself these days. The few times he has taken me, I practically fell asleep (I go to bed now at 9 and get up at 4:30). Anyway, he has gone alone to about 5 or 6 shows that I know of, just local venue, not big arenas. He usually finds someone to go to the big ones, I think. I hope both of you find great friends to go with you soon.

Achtung BB said...

I of course feel responsible for this. It's hard to find someone with the exact same musical taste that I have. If I only went with someone else, I would have missed a lot of good shows. I've gone with my friend Aaron to a few shows, but he wouldn't be interested in a Joy Electric show. I just remember that I'm there for the music. I would prefer to go with someone else, but if no one wants to go, then I'm going solo.

roamingwriter said...

It's like going anywhere in Spain...no one is ever alone. Not at the hardware store, or a restaurant, or starbucks. I'm often the lone freak Americana somewhere. I probably wouldn't go to a concert on my own - good for you! Carry on...we'll be home in June next year. I"m sure Dar will go to whatever.