Monday, March 03, 2008

February Music

Here are some albums I picked up this month:


Bill Mallonee - Circa
Listen here.

Circa is a compilation of 15 songs of the 50-100 songs he wrote and recorded for his fan subscription service. This album is raw and honest and contains some of Bill finest songwriting. The music is stripped down to mostly and acoustic guitar and voice, sometimes backed up with a piano and harmonizing vocals. With his lyrics, it really doesn't need much more.
Johann Johannsson - Englaborn
Listen here.
Johann is an icelandic composer of mostly ambient strings with slight electronics. I found this album in the symphonic section at the record store. I was in the mood for something different and out of the typical rock/song context.
Lucena - Mercury Light e.p. Listen here.

Thanks to the internet, I stumbled upon this band. For fans of Fold Zandura and Mortal, this is Jyro Xhans new band. I don't think he goes by that moniker anymore. Lucena picks up right where Fold Zan left off with their brand shoegaze/dreampop. This is just a 6 song e.p. (available on iTunes) done totally independent of independent labels. It's not bad at all and I look forward to a full release.

Minipop - A New Hope

Listen here.

A great dreampop album with a voice somewhere between the Sundays and Sixpence. It's funny that I mentioned Fold Zandura above, because one of Minipop's songs has a sound that reminded me quite a bit of Fold Zan back in the day.


The Brother Kite - Waiting for the Time to be Right

Listen here.

Sounds like a guitar jangle pop and dreampop mix somewhere between Toad the Wet Sprocket and the Lassie Foundation. Listen to Get On, Me on their myspace page. It is a perfect song. This album contains the sounds and feelings of everything I loved about my college music in the mid-90's.

4 comments:

Achtung BB said...

With the exception of Bill Mallonee, I can't say I've heard any of those. I tried downloading "Circa" off his website, and apparently had some problems. I did the free "Blister Soul" album however, so it made worth it. I wasn't too impressed with "Circa." It sounded unfinished (I suppose it is unfinished).

f o r r e s t said...

BB,
You'll have to check out some of the other bands. They are all pretty good. You need to listen to that Brother Kite song I mentioned.

Blister Soul is one of my favorite VOL albums. You really need to give Circa a chance. The songs by no means are unfinshed. They are complete and fully realized. However the music is as I described - acoustic and simple...it's not unfinished, it is indie. But I think I prefer Bill with just a guitar than with the whole alt-country band. These are some of his sadest and most heartbreaking songs and that is worth it alone. I have been listening to this album more than Permafrost.

Achtung BB said...

Good call on those albums. I'll think I'll get Minipop. Brother Kite sounds good too. I guess the jury is still out on "Circa."

shakedust said...

Get On Me does sound good.