Thursday, September 20, 2007

285 - Waterfire - 08sep2007

A couple weeks ago on a Saturday night, E1 and I drove down to the Plaza to check out an art installation event called 'Waterfire.' Basically, Brush Creek was set on fire and it was all sequenced to live music. Speaker boxes were placed all along the creek and the echoed out everything from classical to Gregorian Chant to opera to Spanish flavored tunes. It was very peaceful and quite hypnotic not to mention the wonderful smells coming from the burning logs that were floating on braziers along the river. A large crowd came out for this event. People were lined along the creek and standing on top of the bridges. People of all ages were out. Kids were rolling down hills and playing at their parents feet. Middle age couples were on blankets with wine and cheese. And everyone was strolling along the walk. The streets along the creek were closed for food booths and gypsy street performers were gathering crowds. It was a good time. They are going to have this event again in October.





5 comments:

Portland wawa said...

I think I remember hearing about this event last year. It looks like a good time.

shakedust said...

How do you hear about these things? I am very intrigued in the video how quiet it is.

Achtung BB said...

I don't remember hearing anything about that and we lived in KC for 7 years

T said...

cool pics! That would have been a fun thing to witness! Three of my favorite things: night time, water, and fire! :)

f o r r e s t said...

No worries, Brian. You didn't hear about it, because this was the first time for the event.

I hear about these things because I keep my ears close to the ground.

Yes, It was suprisingly quiet, (except for the music) almost like a holy reverence.