Wednesday, May 30, 2007

270 - blonde redhead, travis, bjork

Blonde Redhead - 23
Listen here. (check out 23)

This is one of those bands that I have seen around but have never heard their music. I was at a Border's one day to buy a different album and I decide to give Blonde Redhead a sample. I was sold. It sounded like something that I was in the mood for...dreampop!...and it did not disappoint. I have been listening to this album a lot along with Joy Electric's new one. This is a solid album with good songwriting, very enjoyable.


Travis - the boy with no name

Listen here.

After their last disappointing album, this is a nice return to form...wuss rock in fine form. That was a tag given to British bands like Travis, Coldplay, Keane, Starsailor when they first entered the music scene. You have to remember that this music was up against the nu metal/rap core thing going on in America. This album has been in the family car for a while and I think it has caught my wife's ear...who's this again? Wuss rock in fine form. Closer is a perfect song and Battleships is that itch that won't go away, the kind you like.

Bjork - Volta

Listen here.

I used to be fascinated by Bjork's voice when I was in high school back in 1989. Sadly, her voice has become old hat and has lost it's mystery to me...I think. But, her voice is so unique and sound so much like Bjork, it is hard for me to enjoy it the way it is. I realize that I could be contradicting myself here, so I hold the right to change my opinion later. Bjork's solo career started out with big electronic numbers and music that could make you move, but here last few albums have been more inward and meditative (meaning that they sounded like icicles or music boxes.) Both styles were great and highly creative. The word on the street was that this new album was going to have more energy comparable to here earlier albums. Yes and no. It is a mixture of her earlier and her later. My expectations were a little off, which is okay. Honestly, I haven't listened to it enough all the way through to make an official judgement on the record. I have several other new records that keep calling me. And the other thing about Bjork is sometimes you have to be in the right mood. I think I'll listen tonight.

13 comments:

shakedust said...

Blonde Redhead: "Silently" was enjoyable. I didn't really go for any of the other songs.

Travis: I like "Eyes Wide Open." The other songs were not bad but not as good.

Bjork: I still remember her swan dress at some awards show a few years back as well as her reallllllly big dress at the Olympics. When I remember someone's clothes, that means they're completely off the wall. I say that because the cover art seems to indicate she hasn't changed.

Her music is definitely the stuff you need to be in the mood for, but I could see enjoying it when in the right mood. I do always get the feeling that she is singing in a different language even when she uses English.

Achtung BB said...

I think you are right on with Travis and Bjork. I'll have to give Blonde Redhead a try.

Achtung BB said...

I picked up Blonde Redhead today. I was looking for some fresh new music and it sounds like what I'm looking for. So far it sounds amazing!

f o r r e s t said...

I thought you would dig Blonde Redhead. Glad you like it!

Portland wawa said...

I can't understand why BB likes Bjork so much, she doesn't appeal to me either. He plays the new album when I'm in the car and I ask him to play something else. He gets very disagreeable.

f o r r e s t said...

Maybe he likes bjork because she is full of awesomeness. She is always striving to push herself creatively, to stretch new boundaries, to reinvent herself. Music lovers like brian and I respect that and are usually happy with their process and product. Sometimes this experiments/albums may not live up to the expectations that we as a fan would place on them, but that does not mean that we dislike the record or discount the fact that the music may take time to grow on us as the listener. There is so much music out there that is full of blandness and mediocrity (hello American Idol) that us true music lovers welcome those artist who may challenge our ears.

I hope that kinda helps explain why we listen to bjork.

f o r r e s t said...

Side note:
you should thank Brian for playing you good music in the car. It will broaden your horizons and make you cool.

shakedust said...

Bjork's not really a melodic musician. I think that is where the distaste lies.

I will say that if I don't like a style of music, I don't think I would thank someone else for "broadening my horizons" by playing it. If I wanted my horizons broadened, I could do that on my own. :)

f o r r e s t said...

Don't dismiss Bjork as not melodic based on a few tunes. She has a vast catologue that proves otherwise.

There are few people who have better musical tastes than Brian, so if he is playing something for you, you better pay attention. It will be for your betterment.

There is so much wrong with this statement:
I will say that if I don't like a style of music, I don't think I would thank someone else for "broadening my horizons" by playing it. If I wanted my horizons broadened, I could do that on my own.

If I lived by that principle, I would not have the appreciation for music that I have now. There have been so many styles of music that I thought that I did not like, that I later learned to like because it was passed on to me from someone else. I am very grateful for those people who played their music for me.

but then again, I am a stundent of music, always learning and broadening my musical palette. I like to be challenged and find new music. I realize that not everybody is like me. I know its hard for some people to understand music that is different from what is on American Idol. That is why people like Brian are a treasure.

windarkwingod said...

you rock. I am all about your sound!

roamingwriter said...

Are you and BB just trying to get your blogs to look alike? And uh, sound alike??

Achtung BB said...

Wow, I'm flattered that I'm a "treasure"! I'd have to agree with you Forrest about everything. Music is art. Art needs to have it's bountries pushed or it because stale.

Portland wawa said...

Well, BB said you talked about me in your blog. I am happy that you guys like music so much, but my passions lie elsewhere.