Monday, May 28, 2007

268 - Air and Arcade Fire

Air - Pocket Symphony

Listen here.

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

Listen here.

****************************************************

I picked up these two albums on the same day early March.

Let me talk about Air first. I have always liked their music and very much enjoyed their last album Talkie Walkie. The release of this album was a surprise to me...meaning I just found out the week before and don't recall a big deal being made over it. Overall, this album is a bit more mellow and ambient than their last. It lacks the punch of Cherry Blossom Girl and Surfing on a Rocket. Jarvis Cocker lends his vocals to one of the songs. There are some nice numbers and overall it is a pleasant listening experience. Pocket Symphony was the soundtrack to my Italy trip. The music is quiet and reflective and was a great juxtopostion to the Italian Alps and countryside for our daily train rides back to Padova from beautiful Venice.

I just haven't gotten into the new Arcade Fire. On paper, I should like it. The music is good with big anthems, the subject matter deals with misguided religion, but it seems more of the same formula from them. I'm not saying that I don't like the album. I just haven't been drawn back to it for repeat listens. Maybe, that time will come. Unlike Air, this album was hyped and the critics were giving it strong reviews before it was released. I also think the cover art is horrible or at least the white border around the neon bible. When I get tired of listening to my other new albums, I'll give this one a shot again.

2 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I thought the Arcade Fire was hyped a lot too. I tried listening to them on SNL but they didn't sound like anything I could get into.

shakedust said...

From what I heard from the MySpace links, I actually liked Arcade Fire more. I think I am more drawn to anthems, though.

BB, do you still watch SNL? I tried, but I have a hard time justifying the hour and a half cost for maybe two good skits any more.