Tuesday, May 29, 2007

269 - Joy Electric, The Innocence Mission, Over the Rhine

Joy Electric - The Otherly Opus
Listen here.

I ordered this album online and it was a nice surprise waiting for me at home upon my return from Italy. This album is amazing. I love it and it is easily a deserted island top ten for me. This is Ronnie's vocal album, described as having minimal electronics and using vocals to fill out the sound. Some tracks are said to have over 50 vocal tracks. I have been listening to this album nonstop since the end of March and haven't tired of it. Each song is different from the other and opens itself in new ways with each listen. It is sad that Joy Electric is not recognized for the credit they deserve. The cover art is great as it represent the otherworldly sound arranged on paper.


The Innocence Mission - We Walked in Song

Listen here.

Easily one of my favorite bands... I believe that Linford Detweiler of Over the Rhine said that quiet music should be played loudly and I wholeheartedly agree. The Innocence Mission should be played so loud that you are drenched in Karen's voice and Don's guitar. I recently told a group of people that I want to live my life like an Innocence Mission song. Their songs are pure, gentle, true, and holds on to all that is good and noble, finds beauty in the little moments. When I see things in myself that I don't like I compare it to an Innocence Mission song and it usually gets my perspective conformed to the mind of Christ. Wow music!

What's funny about their music and beauty and the way it affects the listener is that if you read any reviews of their albums, notice how the reviewer uses their best metaphors and tries to explain what listening to their music is like. Everyone wants to be a poet when writing about this band. I am a victim too!


Over the Rhine - Live from Nowhere volume two

Listen here.

Wow, what a good time for music. New albums from 3 of my consistently favorite bands. This is a fan album. OTR started a new tradition of making a yearly snapshot, year-in-review albums and as they put it to select some of their juiciest live recordings. It is mostly a live album with a couple of new studio tracks. Since I did not get see them play last year or the year before, it is a chance for me to here their new takes on their newer songs. Their live performances are always stunning. Yes, quiet music should be played loudly.


3 comments:

shakedust said...

By far my favorite of these three is Joy Electric. The songs on the MySpace page are all unique from what he has done in the past. I am impressed.

One thing that strikes me is that the first two almost sound like Christmas carols. I am not a carol fan, but it works in this case.

Achtung BB said...

I've been meaning to pick up the new Innocence Mission album. I like all their older albums. Did you get Over the Rhine on their web page. I don't remember seeing it on itunes.

f o r r e s t said...

Yes, right now you there are a limited number of these live albums and when they are gone, I think they'll put it up on iTunes.