Thursday, June 16, 2005

You Gotta Start Sometime...get on at the Zoo Station

I have been enjoying my late summer night walks.

(Just me, the beagle, the ipod and the Holy Ghost.) It gives me a chance to let the music set fire to my imagination the way it once did as a youth.

Very rarely do I have the time to sit down and listen to an album. I listen to music all the time, but not the way I did as a youth. So, I find myself (my self) on these walks taking longer routes just so I can “finish the chapter.”

I have been listening to U2’s Achtung Baby quite a bit in the last week. The opening song is Zoo Station and it has been stirring my soul for the last couple of weeks. I just need more of that song. It seems to be about courage and trust and letting go. I have been thinking a lot about those topics lately with the new challenges in my job, dreams to pursue, and the departure of good friends.

Darwin and Roamer, I can’t imagine how hard these last couple of years has been and of what is to come; this is for you:

I'm ready, I'm ready for laughing gas
I'm ready, I'm ready for what's next.
I'm ready to duck, ready to dive
Ready to say I'm glad to be alive
I'm ready, I'm ready for the push.

In the cool of the night, in the warmth of the breeze
I'll be crawling around on my hands and knees.
She's just down the line, Zoo Station.
Got to make it on time, Zoo Station.

I'm ready, I'm ready for the gridlock
I'm ready to take it to the street.
Ready for the shuffle, ready for the deal
Ready to let go of the steering wheel.
I'm ready, ready for the crush.

Zoo Station.

Alright, alright, alright, alright, alright
It's alright, it's alright, it's alright, it's alright,
Hey baby, hey baby, hey baby, hey baby,
It's alright, it's alright.

Time is a train makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass.

I'm just down the line from your love...Zoo Station
I'm under the sign of your love... Zoo Station
I'm gonna be there... Zoo Station
Tracing the line... Zoo Station
I'm gonna make it on time, make it on time ... Zoo Station

Just two stops down the line... Zoo Station
Just a stop down the line... Zoo Station

3 comments:

shakedust said...

As soon as I figure out what I am supposed to get ready for I'll get ready. :)

I think the real question is whether Achtung is ready.

windarkwingod said...

Wow. Those lyrics are the closest description of these last two weeks that I've heard. I need to listen to that song again. I like the description of the shuffle and the gridlock - ready to jump into the hard and steady fight.

roamingwriter said...

I'm ready, I'm ready. Yes and no. I want to be ready but what we're biting off is so big and so unknown that I probably am not even close to ready, but I feel like the starting gun is about to be fired and I'm in the gate. The only problem is I ran a race in order to get to the gate, so I'm tired. I wouldn't trade it though. I'm ready to see what's next.