Wednesday, June 29, 2005

polo shirts don't die; they just look outdated

Polo shirts - is that what they are called? The shirts that are cotton knit with a couple of buttons and a collar that were popular in the '80's by Ralph Lauren. I call them all Polo shirts.

The shirt itself has a very long shelf life. I have a black one in my closet that is a least 5 years old and it is holding well. I believe the style and cut of the shirts is probably an American classic and will never go out of style - like jeans.

I have been thinking about Polo shirts lately due to the fact that my neighbor at work has been wearing one about every day this summer. The guy who sits next to me is in his early 50's and given the fact that these shirts won't die, he has a lot of Polo shirts. He has solids, stripes, the two toned collar and sleeves with the rest of the shirt, and of coarse logos or sponsers of companies or golf tournaments.

I can almost guess the year of the shirt by its colors. The burgandy, forest, and navy scheme just screams '92-'95. He has some shirts that hurt my eyes - the bright orange, green, yellow, and blue - I should ask him to take the batteries out. Should I tell him the mustard colors don't look good with his bald head? It is not all bad, he has some new shirts that look real slick.

I am disappointed that I haven't seen the famous 4 tone Structure shirt. The one divided into quadrants of red, blue, green, orange or any other combo. Maybe, one of these days when he is feeling frisky.

6 comments:

windarkwingod said...

Pretty amazing what it is a tight fashion orbit. On occasion, they make a crater in some retail men's section

shakedust said...

I tend to wear polo shirts quite a bit. I am not sure if that is my influence as an alternative to button-down shirts or Mrs Dust's influence as an alternative to t-shirts. It must be a silent compromise.

GoldenSunrise said...

Polo shirts are a staple for the corporate casual atmosphere. You can't go wrong with a polo shirt in an office environment.

Dust's cousin bought him a GAP polo shirt for Christmas. (blue and grey stripes) I like that one a lot. I need to get him some more updated looking polos.

Jadee said...

When he starts putting a sweater over the shoulders and tucking the cuffs together WITH the polo shirt...then we will know its time to institutionalize! J/K =D

And please DON'T let him turn up his collar!

Other than that, polo shirts are pretty cool!

T said...

Yeah, Mr. T wears polo's, I don't buy him shirts that aren't polo's usually. He looks nice in them. I am glad that they never go out of style in the corporate world, if they did he's be stuck wearing his button up shirts 24/7 and that would be bad on so many levels. Although, I like his button ups and try to give him variety in them as well:)!

Unknown said...

Once I thought about things like: why such information is for free here? Because when you write a book then at least on selling a book you get a percentage. Thank you and good luck on informing people more about it! short ralph lauren