Monday, November 19, 2007

295 - Destination Postcard

Some friends of ours in Lawrence (we go way back to the days at the University of Kansas) have created an arts group called B.A.L.M. - beauty, art, life movement. BALM will hold events/gathering for artists around the Lawrence/Kansas City area to meet and share work with each other. These events usually revolve around a theme. One event was to create "destination" postcards. The results were pretty good and Darin (Mr. BALM) worked it out to show these postcards at the Art Affair Gallery in Baldwin, KS home of Baker University.

Here are the three postcards that I submitted to the show:


Raingirl in Paris
4X6, mixed media
$60

I guess I have been creating a series of Raingirl images. At some point I should try to put them all together in a book or something. On this piece I thought of the destination of where I first saw Raingirl and took her picture in front of the Centre Pompidou in Paris on a rainy spring day.

This postcard was created using chipboard, graph paper, grocery bag, ink, acrylic paint, a map of Paris, and yellow architectural trace paper.


Conversation
4x6, mixed media
$60

...or maybe my better working title was "two old birds." This was a photo I took of two old ladies in one of Venice's many piazzas. They just looked classic or maybe timeless is a better word. Their apparel is great and they fit in with the Italy's old architecture. It's like right on queue they got up and left their homes and arrived at the right time to meet.

This postcard was created using chipboard, graph paper, grocery bag, ink, prisma color marker, and a photo.

Migration
4x6, mixed media
$60

The previous postcard got me thinking about geese and migration and the images of those birds and that process. It is Autumn here in Kansas. The trees are losing their golden leaves and the geese are heading south. I just wanted to celebrate one of my favorite seasons of the year.

This postcard was created using chipboard, greentint Stenobook lined paper, ink, prisma color marker, acrylic paint, and crayon on newspaper clippings.

10 comments:

Portland wawa said...

Wow, I am really into those postcards. They do say alot about you, what you value, what you treasure. Very nice!

Anonymous said...

Good shots forrest of great work! I hope you can get out and see the show. I hope all is well! dwhitey

Achtung BB said...

I've seen the rainy day girl on pretty much all the seasonal albums over the years. I never saw the original picture, but it seems to have caught a brillant moment Paris. Are the birds from Sigur Ros? They look similar.

f o r r e s t said...

Brian-
No, not sigur ros birds. these birds are canadian geese and not the ones on Takk...

shakedust said...

I wonder what the two old ladies from Venice are talking about.

GoldenSunrise said...

I like your mixture of supplies. I wouldn't have thought to combine grocery paper, graph paper, and etc.

f o r r e s t said...

I was just using materials that were laying around the house.

Doc said...

I love them all. Are these for sale?

f o r r e s t said...

Yes, they are for sale at the Gallery right now. I think the show runs through the 15th of December.

I have the prices a bit high because of the gallery commission charge. Otherwise, they are each $36.

roamingwriter said...

I love the old ladies. I like the title conversation better than old birds. Maybe because I constantly see these random conversations when I am out walking. And a couple times I've even been in one - much to my delight. One old lady stopped later at my house and asked for some wine (how embarrassing I didn't have any). Though I was slightly spooked that she knew which one was my house since we were blocks away when we spoke.