Saturday, July 14, 2007

276 - Forget the Lifeboat, let's play values classification on Southwest

This week, I had a quick trip down to Dallas for business. We flew on Southwest Airlines and I have never flown Southwest before, so forgive me if this been like (where have you been the past century?)

Southwest is like a bus in the air. There are no assigned seats. You can check in online 24 hours in advance and the earlier you check in, the better chance of getting that coveted 'A' boarding group. The boarding groups are 'A', 'B', and 'C' and each gate has a line-up area for each corresponding letter. My boarding pass was with group 'B' and the co-worker I was flying with was in group 'A.' He had obviously flown many more times than me and knew when to check in.

My co-work then gave me the low-down. The plane has one central aisle with 3 seats on each side. The first seats to go are usually the aisles and then the windows, which means the middle seats are last.

And then it hit me, the horrid realization that I might have to play the values classification game in picking a seat. Certain seating situations will lead to a more comfortable and enjoyable flight, but what can one infer about my choice that may or may not be true. Let's play out possible scenario's:
  • A seat between two big guys with their elbows over hanging the armrest. This obviously would not be comfortable as I would be sitting with my arm tucked-in between my legs, but it might look like I have a prejudice against big people and that I think they are smelly.
  • A seat between two attractive girls. Very comfortable choice as I would have plenty of room for myself and that they would probably smell good, but it seems like every guy's first obvious choice and one that a player would take.
  • A seat between two guys about my age. They are hoping an attractive girl will choose their spot and will be wondering why I passed on the seat between the girls. There will be awkward moments when our arms make contact on the arm rest.
  • A seat between to people of a different race. Nothing wrong with this choice, but if I pass it up will I look racist?
  • A seat between a man and women with their laptops, blackberry's, briefcases spewing out of their seat as they talk loudly into their bluetooths. Actually, no one will fault you for passing this seat with way too much ego.
  • A seat between a couple people who are engaged in a book and zoned out on their iPod. Stop right there. I found my perfect choice. I just want to read, listen to music, and zone out.

Luckily, since I got in the 'B' line early, I never had to choose a seat between two people.

*********

After we landed in Dallas, the flight attendant gave us the usual seat belt and mobile phone message and the burst into song singing:

We love you

You love us

We are faster than a bus

We hope you enjoyed our hospitality

Marry one of us and you can fly for free

**********

After returning my rental car, the shuttle bus driver (I was the only one on board) and I engaged in some small talk. He asked me where I was from and when I told him Kansas City, he grinned from ear to ear. Yes, I know that grin. And he said "Gates BBQ, have you been there? Arthur Bryant's! Yes, that is good stuff. Good BBQ." Mmmmmm! I'm hungry.

5 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I've done my share of flying and never heard a stewardess sing when we landed. They usually just wave with their fake smile

shakedust said...

Very good post!

If you ride Southwest much, you'll get a lot of singing and jokes. One of the things that interviewers for phone positions have to do is tell a joke.

I have been in the "B" line more than once. It used to be that you were guarranteed an "A" line spot if you showed up an hour and a half before your flight. Now, you have to print your boarding pass the day before.

I never thought of the fact that having someone sit next to you is a compliment. It means they would rather sit next to you than the other people with open seats.

I would avoid the attractive girls because I absolutely can't stand people thinking that I am shallow.

I would probably sit next to the guys my age because I wouldn't put two and two together that they are hoping for an attractive girl to sit between them.

I agree that the book/iPod people are probably the best to sit next to.

f o r r e s t said...

Yes, I kinda noticed that the Southwest attendents were a bit more casual and were allowed to have fun...if only they were encouraged to have flair. Ya know set a standard of 14 buttons of flair but strongly encourage their personality to shine with more flair than the standard.

roamingwriter said...

I haven't flown SW in a while. I remember they were funny. I love businesses that don't take themselves so seriously. We will fly a non-seat assigned airline here in September, but I don't think they are funny.

Portland wawa said...

BB and I flew southwest two years ago when Nibbles was 2 months old, he must have forgot. They are the only airline that flies non-stop from KC to Portland so that's what I wanted. We didn't have problems with seating because they seat families with small children first and no one wants to sit next to a mom with a toddler and a baby in her lap.
I don't think I would care what the age or sex of the person sitting next to me was as long as they looked friendly and nice. To be honest, most of the older women always smile at me and tell me how cute my kids are (until they start crying).