Thursday, February 22, 2007

264 - february book


To Own a Dragon by Don MillerMy wife picked up this book at the MOPS convention where Don Miller was a guest speaker. Later she got him to sign our copy where he expressed his love to the both of us.Basically, this book is about growing up without a father, the need for mentoring of fatherless boys, and really understanding the concept of Heavenly Father. To Don, having a father was something he read about or saw on TV. The idea of having a father was just as foreign as a story he once read about a boy who owned a dragon. As far as life experiences, he felt he never learned the things he was suppose to about being a man, being responsible. That was a special club and he wasn't invited.

Don writes in his usual humble, matter of fact memoir style filled with humor and personal stories.

I used to tease my friend Brian about wearing band t-shirts, but he said they are always great conversation starters. He is right, I wore one recently and immediately had someone identify that they liked the band.

I found the same thing true with books. When I read in public spaces there is always someone being nosy seeing what your reading and ready to comment if there is a commonality. This happened recently with my Don Miller book. I was at the gym and a man in his '60's told me that he is reading Don's books. He was really excited about his writing and thought that Don was doing good things for Christianity. I was surprised. I agree with him, but I never imagined Don's writing to connect with an older audience. Another person recently told me that she gets mad reading Blue Like Jazz, but realizes that she is mad at herself. She sees herself in the described situations and then the convictions sets in.

It is interesting to see author where people have such strong feelings and emotion. I look forward to read more from him.

4 comments:

shakedust said...

I was never real concerned about something happening to me until NJ. Now I am always thinking I should be careful because NJ needs a dad.

Miller's other books have been good, so I am sure that one would be good too. I can't imagine growing up without a dad.

dwhitey said...

i have read parts of blue like jazz. interesting... maybe i will read more... although the book might be in napal right now with the friend who loaned it to me. oh, mr. b and jenni are going to guatemala on thursday for a few months. just thought you would like to know.

f o r r e s t said...

good for them. I hope all goes well with their adoption.

Achtung BB said...

Haven't seen this book at Imago. I'll have to add it to my "books to read list"