Thursday, February 08, 2007

261 - january music, part 1


I have had a great time this last month going to the stores and seeking out new music. These were all purchased with gift cards from Christmas.
Joanna Newsom - Ys

I may have a hard time describing this album.

There has been much talk about this album...people really love it or really hate...really beautiful or really grating. Ys ended up on many critics top 1o of 2006 list and I had to find out. This is the kind of risk I am willing to take with music.

What is the music like? I think some describe it as folk or classical or fantastical (otherworldly in a very organic way.) Some compare her voice to Bjork, but only in the sense that it is very unique. Joanna Newsom plays the harp and that is the main backbone to all the songs, which are then accompanied by standard classical instruments. The album consists of 5 songs ranging from 7 minutes to 17 minutes - not your standard pop fare. She sings throughout the bulk of the songs with no long instrumentals. The song structure is very story oriented without your typical verse, verse, chorus, verse format. It reminds me a bit of the long songs in the Lord of the Rings and the music does have a bit of the medieval, renaissance, middle earth feel.

This album rides the fine line of being completly nuts or completely genius and I haven't made up my mind yet, but I am leaning toward the genius side. I find myself coming back to it. I haven't figured it out yet; it's interesting - and that's a good thing.

Watch documentary here .
Listen here.

Juana Molina - Tres Cosas

Juana Molina has been one of my favorite finds of the year. I got here newest album last month and Tres Cosas is an earlier album from 2004. I love her style: minimal electronics and layering of vocals with acoustic instrumentations. The power of her music doesn't hit you with a quick sample or one stand alone song. You have to soak in the whole album to get the full essence of the music. It is very down tempo and chill out, so it makes a great background sountrack for painting, reading, eating, or conversation.

Listen here.

6 comments:

roamingwriter said...

I enjoyed a taste of Juana. I can see why she'd be a favorite. Nice sound. You said favorite find of the year...it's early yet.

f o r r e s t said...

Sorry, I meant when I discovered her newest cd "Son" in December, that she was one of my favorite finds of 2006.

Since she sings in Spanish, can you make out the words?

Achtung BB said...

Only two CDs? Slow month

shakedust said...

Two CDs and no t-shirts. Very slow month. :)

The Juana Molina sample would fit well as the background to one of those segue montages in a movie. That's my initial thoughts.

f o r r e s t said...

"only two cd's?"...HELLO. You know I wouldn't disappoint you like that. Did you read the title. PART 1.

Part 2 will come later. Have patience. There is only so much I can write during lunch.

Achtung BB said...

I hope to see your review of the Brother's Martin