Tuesday, October 10, 2006

245 - September

It's time to look back at the new music, dvd's, and books that I got involved with in the month of September.

My Brightest Diamond - Bring Me the Workhorse
Shara Worden has an amazing voice and I am not quite sure where to place it. This so called head cheerleader for Sufjan Steven's Illinoisemakers can fit within any genre, but this hauntingly beautiful album fall somewhere in the "arty" realm.

Viva Voce - Get Yr Blood Sucked Out
...
experimental pop from the Robinson's.



Starflyer 59 - My Island
...
Jason Martin creates another amaizing album. My Island is more upbeat and bass heavy, but still maintains the SF59 sound.

Hem - Funnel Cloud
...
It has been a while since I got a new album of songs from Over the Rhine or the Innocence Mission, so I thought Hem would fit right in for my smart pretty music with organic leanings and well crafted lyrics mood that I get in. And it did...a very pretty album (minus a couple countryish twang songs in the middle.) Good music to fall asleept to-as there seems to be a lullabye meets introspective broadway musical vibe.


U2 - ZOOTV - Live from Sydney
This is probably the greatest show I've seen live right up there with all the other U2 shows I've seen since ZooTV. This was the first "big" show I ever saw and by big I mean bigger than 1000 or so people. ZooTV came to Kansas City my freshman year in college back in 1992 and the ideas of that tour were begger than my 18 year old mind could comprehend on an intellectual level. I didn't know what postmodernism was at that time, let alone how to view critique and irony of postmodernism. This show was multi-media before multi-media existed. There is so much about this show - this blade runner, cyberpunk world- that was a commentary on culture and where it was going that as you watch it today, you see all the predictions were correct.


Looking Around - A Journey Through Arcitecture by Witold Rybczynski
I still have few pages left on this book that is a critique of Architecture and Theory as it explores different areas from the history and ideas of home to public buildings with modern and post-modern thought. It is a very facinating read and has a lot of content to soak up, so I am not a speedy reader with this book.

3 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I thought Zoo TV was amazing. It was my first experience with seeing U2 live

shakedust said...

Wow, artwork has changed a little in fourteen years.

f o r r e s t said...

Are you referring to the ZooTV cover? What do you think? What does it say about the early '90's?