Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What is going in my iPod...(cont'd)

Here are some albums that I recently dusted off the shelf and loaded to my iPod to give new life. I love the shuffle function to go thru and pick all these old songs that I haven't listened to in a while. There is no rhyme or reason to the order in which I pick these albums.


Beth Orton - Daybreaker
I picked up this album in the Summer of 2002 at the Virgin Megastore on Michigan Ave in Chicago. Listening to these tunes remind me of that Holiday.

Cocteau Twins - Stars and Topsoil: a collection 1982-1990
I love dreampop, what can I say? Basically this is a collection of songs showing their progression of sound during the 4AD years.
Charity Empressa - Self-Titled
I am very lucky to have this in my possession as it is sought after and hard to find. This is Eric C (Cupie) of the Prayer Chain, Lassie Foundation, and Cush and his brand of drone, post rock noise dreaminess with a wide guest of vocalist and musicians including Jason Martin and Wayne Everett.


Chapterhouse - Whirlpool

Their first two songs "breather" and "pearl" are some of the finest to come out of that early '90's shoegazer/dreampop era.

Bon Voyage - self-titled

Starflyer 59 plus Julie Martin. Anything Jason Martin works on is magic and Julie has a golden voice.

Belle & Sebastian - the boy with the arab strap

I have bought many albums because of one song. I first met Belle & Sebastian many years ago in Border's at a listening station. The band was relatively new and the album cover had that "Smith's" look to it. Anyway, on listen to "Sleep the Clock Around" and I had to have the album.

Joy Electric - The Tick Tock Treasury
I have every single Joy E release and then some. I am a fan and always will be. I haven't listend to this in a while.

Joy Electric - Robot Rock

I have a lot of Joy E albums still to upload. It has been years since I have listened to Robot Rock.

Jesus and Mary Chain - 21 singles

Noise pop maybe, but not quite dreampop.

Curve - Doppelganger

Another dreampop/shoegazer album with dreamy female vocals from the early '90's.

The Cure - Staring at the Sea

A classic singles album.



3 comments:

shakedust said...

It is so fun to rediscover music I listened to years ago. Always brings back memories.

Achtung BB said...

I've got all those on my ipod too(except Charity Empressa and Belle and Sebastian)! I'll have to try Charity Empressa, but I've never been able to get into Belle and Sebastian. I know I should like them, but I've never been impressed with them enough to buy their cd.
I'm glad to see you have some Jesus and Mary Chain and Cocteau Twins. I consider them some of the first "shoegazers" that really created the swirling guitars and wall of noise.
Check out Chapterhouse on itunes. They have some of their early eps that are worth a listen.

f o r r e s t said...

Belle and Sebastian, in my opinion, is hit or miss.